Topband: Tailending and Repeats

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Tailending and Repeats
From: Keith Jillings <keith@jillings.flyer.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:00:18 +0000

I listened on Top Band last weekend to the malarkey with a certain DX station. From where I sat, no gentleman was ever going to get a QSO! Tailenders were all I could hear working him (yes, I heard the DX too).

The other thing that wound me up was to hear the same stations working him that worked him last night, and the night before, and the night before that. I suppose it's a proof of manhood, or something, that "I can work XX *every* night".

What it means is that the polite "little pistols" never have a chance through the tailenders and "repeat ad nauseam" big guns.

I remember Stew W1BB organising "first timer" tests. In the days when I had a good antenna, I worked quite a few "down in the noise" W stations that I'd probably not have picked up otherwise. That was working wide split, with the Ws spread over quite a few kc/s - not in among the keyclicks as they are now.

73 and best wishes to all on THE band

Keith GW3OIT