Topband: Tailending etc

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Tailending etc
From: "Dean Showalter" <dospicos@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:55:52 -0700
Hi Guys;

Dont usually get involved in discussions involving operating techniques!
However I find my fingers cant resist on this one!  Tailending is an
abomination. Yeah, Yeah, I know .. "if its done right it, its a thing of
beauty and a joy forever"  To whom??  The guy who sneaked through because of
his superb operating skills, and the DX whose too lazy or incompetent to
take the stations on an equal basis? Those are the only ones I can see who
might see the beauty of "sneaking in line".

A very prominent member of the DX community, who is otherwise a hero of
mine, did the Ham community a disservice , when he extolled, in writing, the
exquisite skills required to do this.. He thereby legitimitized an operating
pratice which says "watch me take away your contact, because Im a much more
aggressive operator than you are".  Thats what its about isnt it?
If thats Ham radio ????????

Ethics aside? Lets assume, we all assume, we are "skilled" enough to do
this? How many contacts are going to result, when everybody, I say
everybody, in a pileup tailends?  Probably none?   So we are back to the
"grabbers" who
think they should be first regardless, arent we? Because this "technique"
can only be succcessful for the few, ill mannered enough to practice it.

Yes, Ill agree if you think you are a more aggressive operator than I am,
You probably are. Do you have a right thereby to step into line ahead of me.
No, I dont think so.

Lets keep the "Gentlemens band" just that, and forego the non gentelmenly
operating practices that have helped to degrade  the other bands. Do I
think "tailending" is non gentelmenly? Yes I do... Its an abomination; but
Ive already said that havent I ?

73 de Dean  W5PJR
Tijeras, NM