Re: Topband: Conditions last night

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions last night
From: Steve Lawrence <smlx@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:20:52 -0800

On Feb 12, 2004, at 9:33 AM, Ford Peterson wrote:

It would be even better if people would abandon the annoying practices of tail ending, doubling to sneak their call in, and calling out of cadence, regardless of split width. The term "Lid" comes to mind when considering the QRM generated by these ugly practices.

Ford-N0FP

On the contrary. Diagnosing how the DX is listening and utilizing that to pick your spot and timing is a tried and true method of experienced ops. On CW, tail ending a few hundred cycles off the current Q can be very effective. For the proficient ops on the DX end, this increases the Q rate without causing QRM to the current Q. Often, precision tail ending produces a Q when propagation is not as favorable as it is to those who are part of the existing "curtain."

The "lids" that concern me are those who call non-stop over the current Q necessitating repeats and slowing the rate; the cops whose timing on the DX's frequency is impeccably bad - if you must send "Up," please do it on the DX's frequency when he's listening and not transmitting, and sending it once only; and those who failed their elementary school alphabet tests. These traits seem to be independent of how long the DXer has been licensed.

We all have made mistakes in timing, thinking we hear our call or using the wrong VFO. And most of us shut up when we realize our mistake. There are unfortunately still a few who won't.

I, for one, will continue to tail end as long as the DX takes 'em. It can be a thing of beauty.

73, Steve WB6RSE