Topband: Re: Re: 160 Nostalgia

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re: Re: 160 Nostalgia
From: Lawrence Stoskopf <stoskopf@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 19:27:01 -0600

After watching all of these old-timers discuss the Gentleman's Band, I can't help throwing out some personal comments:

One year at Dayton there was a 160 hospitality room and I dropped in wearing my (then) new EXTRA call N0UU. Mentioned to someone that I used to be W0PSF and several jumped up and visited.

I was active in the 60s on an occasional basis from an unheated shack on my father's farm. Happened to have a 400 foot tower on it for commercial 2-way and I had the painter hang a couple of wires up the side, tied to an insulator at 240 ft and back down so i could pigtail a rope on it an pull it out between the guys, feeding the feeder against the tower. Unfortunately, one of the guys was right on Eu so never heard Eu. Ofter I would finish a night and have my extra can of pop frozen to the floor.

Rig was an ARC-5 that I cobbled up for screen-grid keying. Simply keyed the 250v high for a bit and let a resistor pull it low for spaces. Needless to say that the key was hot, although limited to maybe 20 ma. Turns out that it wasn't really off for spaces as I got a friendly note from an OO in Colorado in one of the contests telling me that he was able to copy my call as noise punctuated by a raspy signal (the spaces) 70 KHz up the band. Suggested that I fix that!

Rx was a S-40B Hallicrafters. Used to have a great time with the split bands and low power limits that existed then. Would work the East on the lower segment and then switch to the upper segment for the West. Have several CQ contest certificates signed by W2EQS.

W1BB was always helpful and I have a pile of his newsletters. He must have spent hours on those. I also have a card from Stew from one of his cruises: "Dec 18, 1966, 4320 miles west of SF, CA heard you QSOing K7MKL, 439."

I had a great tour of his place later, the watertower site (where he was operating one night and some hoods tied the lock with wire. He had to find someone on 160 late at night to call the Winthrop Police to get him out!). The famous yacht antenna site. He fired up the spark rig for me. Wonder what happened to that?

Some time in the late 60s was home to help my dad for the June wheat harvest. Went up early in the morning and called CQ, lots of QRM. Same the next two mornings. Got an airmail from VK3AKN saying that they were hearing me with the 100 watts, keep trying. Next morning called and heard VK3A?N in the noise. Replied VK3AKN de W0PSF. Silence. CQ again. Reply VK3A(static crash)N. VK3AKN de W0PSF. Silence. Several iterations and finally ZL1 (AYG?) replied that it was VK3ATN calling!!!! Band closed and that was my last day.

By then I was in medical school. Managed to buy a SX101MK3 and an old Viking Valiant. Went up to the hill one weekend to set up for the contest: card table, rig turned on all week to stay warm, a small heater by now. Even had an swr bridge built so didn't have to tune the open feeder for maximum spark to my pencil. Dad called mid week and asked what I wanted him to do with my equipment: The tower came down in an ice storm shearing off the front half of the 10X12 ft tin shed totally crushing it. I would have been OK if it had happened three days later as I had three feet to spare, but there would have been a big brown spot back there.

Mention was made of W5SUS. I chatted with him often as W0GDN in KC. He dropped by in Wichita one time to visit his Dad in the Masonic Home there. He ran the doorbell, introduced himself and asked if his Dad could come in. Of course! A wave from John and here came his 90 yr old dad quickly up the walk. John should be around for a long while.

160 here in Salina will be a minimal effort. Have a 10 acre lot, but antenna height limit of 55 ft by covenants.

Sorry this is long. CU all on the air.

N0UU