Re: Topband: Battle Creek Special

To: <k7rx@comcast.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Battle Creek Special
From: "George & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:13:49 -0500
Kevin:

How tall is your tower?  Can you either
A. hang an inverted L off the tower or a tall tree.
B. shunt feed the tower?  If it is 60+ feet tall with a couple of yagis on
top, either will give you better performance than a BCSpecial alone, since
it is only 50 feet tall and is top loaded on 80 and 160.

Have you put down at least 30 radials 65 feet long or more?  Without a good
ground any vertical will not play well.

As to RG8 coaxial traps,  K1ZM's traps are heavy, but you should contact
Jeff direct for further advice.  The current BC Specials use coils and
capacitors (made from RG213) for the traps which are much lower loss and are
easily tuned to the bottom of both 80 and 40 meters.

Please contact me direct off line for further BCSpecial information if you
want current design data, etc.

Good luck,    73,    George    K8GG    gmguerin@voyager.net