Topband: More early JA topband QSOs

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: More early JA topband QSOs
From: JAMESAMS88@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:18:26 EST
It was great seeing the comments from the early topbanders on JA QSOs  I
found a note in my log about a early Japan to Iowa QSO that I listened to by
the
late W0NWX, W0DX, VP2VL, Bob Dennison of Newton, Iowa whom was at one time ARRL
President and an early DXpedition pioneer. Bob was also a Topband DX pioneer.
 Bob made a schedule with KA9AK whom was in the US military in Japan at the
time.  The date was December 11 1968 at 1300z.  The frequency was 1.877kh. so
the loran did not bother.  I was able to hear KA9AK for 3 min.  they were using
split and I tried to jump in my self and get him but my timing was off.
   It wasn't until December 1 1973 when I used a small loop to null down the
strong loran signals and at sunrise the loran dropped some more and I was able
to copy and work JA1MCU and JA2GQO for my first ever Japan and Asia QSO's on
160.
                                           James Graham, Ames, Iowa W0NFL