Topband: Reminiscent of times of 160

To: "Top Band" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Reminiscent of times of 160
From: "Dennis Peterson" <dennis.peterson@machlink.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:34:22 -0600
I couldn?t resist the opportunity of giving my 2¢ worth on this subject, as
160 meters is where I have spent 26 or my 27 years as an amateur radio
operator.  Having begun my amateur career in Illinois in 1976 as WB9YTT my
first DX was a KL7 that I accidentally snagged during a novice round up
contest.  Having relocated from Illinois to the Pacific Northwest and
acquiring the call of N7CKD; I quickly learned how easy it was to hear and
work many Pacific stations as well as JA?s.  It was almost like working
stateside?

I did finally manage to work some Europeans being the first to work several
Europeans from The Seattle area.  Having helped VU2GDG and the hams of India
get on 160 meters was one of my biggest thrills; although working VU2GDG on
160 was a let down while hearing the East coasters and others work them.  I
could hear 4X4NJ many times from the so-called black hole? but was
unsuccessful at working him.  When I left the Seattle area in 1996, my
county count was 97 countries worked and 28 Zones worked.

Well, after re-locating back here to IOWA; my country count hasn?t improved
all that much with only 138 worked and 135 or so confirmed while adding I
think 3 or 4 to the zones making it 32 worked.

I heard my first JA two mornings ago but their signals here in the heart of
the city were 359 to 439 at most.  I have worked many Europeans from Iowa
since moving back and believe me it?s easier from here than it was from
Seattle; so I can just about guess what it is like from the EAST
COAST??????..I can appreciate how you guys feel or felt when we were running
strings of JA?s during a CQ or ARRL contest; on the same note, You can guess
how we felt as we heard and listened to you guys run strings of EU for long
periods.  The trade off is about equal.

Some of my best West Coast QSO?s from the Seattle area were ? G3SZA now
AA0RS, EA3VY, CT2CB, LZ2CJ, DL1BU, SM6EHY, OK1DOT, F6BKI, ON4UN

>From the Seattle area is was quite easy to work the JA?s, VK?s, ZL?s and
they would break in on QSOs many time early in our evenings out there.
Other West Coast QSO?s included LU3ZI, AZ5ZA, All of the KH Islands, H44IA,
VS6DO, FO0XX, UA0ZDD, UA1OT.

I hope I haven?t taken up too much bandwidth; as I wanted to show that all
of this has been done from a city lot with limited and minimal antennas.  It
isn?t easy to DX from a city lot, ask BRAD/W6DAO in California.   My current
RX antennas consist of the following:
60? SWA center fed antenna
4 turn electrostatic shielded indoor loop
160/80 meter 10? diameter rotating loop
Pennant antenna
A today I put up a 165-foot Long wire antenna at 32? above ground and bent
twice with the final 10 feet actually point towards the ground.

It?s nice to hear all of the stories and reminisce because 20+ years ago
many didn?t call CQ they simply LISTENED???

Dennis  KØCKD

---