Topband: zoo

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: zoo
From: W7lr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:13:02 EST
The morning zoo took place after JD1YBJ.  I'll probably get flack for this
but it might do some good if some of the zoo read this.
Like many others I've been hoping for a JD1/M qso for several years.  Also
like many others decided to get up at 5 am to try again.
Started listening on 1817 his usual frequency, but listening around found him
calling cq na on 1819.3 (not the 1819.1 spot).  Soon had a 579/579 qso for
#204.
Soon the zoo began.  Guys would call 8 or 10 times, then start again when the
rest of the zoo kept calling - no one listening or knowing who the JD1 was
calling.
It is like everyone trying to get thru a revolving door at once - nobody
makes it.
It is not the end of the world - some relaxing, 2 or 3 calls and take your
chances, and listen might work better.  Of course an hour later when the JD1
worked split (now on 1817) it was a piece of cake, he was down to s5 and no one
calling, so used our club call for a qso and he must have gone qrt then.
East coast had a great JA opening, and sorry the JD1 was not on early enough
for most of them.
73 Bob W7LR