Topband: Connectors for top band use

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Connectors for top band use
From: W2pm@aol.com (by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:53:10 -0500
I never thought I'd be concerned about RF connectors at 160 but I have recently discovered the hard way that those crimp on Radio Shack PL259's are quite unsatisfactory as they do not provide for a solid, dc shield contact.

Here in suburban northern NJ I have made a small career of 160 noise abatement with several sense antennas for my MFJ1025 and several mini flags and pennants and a mag loop or two. However we're having a very cold and very dry winter making the ambient noise level quite high. On inspection after many frustrating evenings trying to listen thru the local crud I found intermittent readings on my rx antennas - all attributable to those damn little connectors. When the shield isn't solidly connected the imbalance caused makes the difference between S9 level crud and comfortable listening. SWR on the flags goes from more than 3:1 to less than 1.2:1 when the connector is properly seated. The physical connection despite feeling "solid" is just not so.

I do not use crimp on connectors myself but purchased lengths of rg58 with those connectors installed from Radio Shack but am completing the replacement of the connectors with good quality Amphenols now.