Topband: NA from 9V

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: NA from 9V
From: Robert Marshall-Read <rmread@starhub.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:59:44 +0800
Top Banders,

A lower than normal QRN level this sunrise from 9V with faster QSB made
Europe tougher than usual because everyone was about the same signal
strength.  It was the classic "alphabet soup" on this end.  Many partial
calls but no outstanding signals, coupled with a pile up that wouldn't
standby when I did get part of a call sign made the Q rate lower than when
the QRN covers all but the loudest stations.

The path to Europe peaked about 45 minutes before local sunrise, then
dropped off about 15 minutes later.

A spot just at sunrise showed Jack VE1ZZ was hearing Ross 9M2AX, so I took a
chance and called NA a minute or so after full daylight.  Jack's call was
heard the first time, 449 peaking 559.  A second call brought K1UO.  I
thought I heard NO2R but not sure he was calling me.  These were my first NA
long path contacts, so maybe things will now improve.

After trying all manner of small RX antennas (flags, pennants, Co-ax loops)
and getting nowhere, I finally cracked it with a full sized low dipole five
feet off the roof of the 13 story building.  This antenna hears very well.
I think signals arriving at the equator are dropping almost vertically down
at sunrise and sunset, so directivity isn't needed, plus the noise is much
lower on the horizontal antenna all the time.

I will be trying for the next couple of weeks at sunrise and sunset on Top
Band, and maybe the CQWW 160 will bring some good results also.

73

Bob 9V1GO G4VGO

This email is confidential and privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not view, disseminate, use or copy this email. Kindly
notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. Thank
you.

Please visit our website at www.starhub.com