Re: Topband: Balun Discussions

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Balun Discussions
From: "i4jmy@iol.it" <i4jmy@iol.it>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:02:43 +0100
choke with a smaller diameter wire the problem fixes, (who knows why ?!),
although the coil runs warm (may be hot hot) because of the DC current flow.
When a thinner wire solution is not applicable, it?s best to switch a set of
different plate chokes, depending on the used frequency. But this is another
story, and another revealed "trick".

Again, the mechanism of an antenna choke it's not that of a transmission line.
Behaviour of a transmission line (when not resistively terminated into it?s own
characteristic impedance) is to cyclically show high and low impedances, and
repeatedly change in reactance sign, with an EXACT harmonical relation.

We can agree that not only capacitance between turns has to be taken in
account. Expecially when it?s small, sourrounding objects may be dominating as
the parasitic capacitances. Circuit resonance anyway occurs when the reactances
are equal and opposite in sign, and you can't find out more than a single
resonance in an antenna choke between its terminals, whose thing is finally
what we need. If still in doubt, place a capacitor that's larger than parasitic
across the choke and you'll see that's just a conventional parallel resonant
circuit.

Experience tells that it is perfectly possible to get a reasonable high
impedance without dealing to reach a resonance. Self resonance is hardly a
stable condition, unless the environment is controlled (closed) and
weatherproofed.

73 & HNY
Mauri I4JMY