Topband: ts870s on low band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: ts870s on low band
From: Thomas.Damboldt@t-online.de (Thomas Damboldt) (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:06:15 -0500
Hi topbanders,

I am using a TS-870 on topband in a very high noise urban environment (S9 in 1 kHz and AIP off) and I am quite happy with it, although I could not compare it with other (better?) equipment.

Just want to report on my experience with the Inrad filters and PIN diode improvement (WWW.GARANT-FUNK.DE in German). There is no strong transmitter in my area, so actually there was no need for this improvement, but I thought the noise problem would be a little less due to improved selectivity and linearity. In short: there was no difference in performance, so for this kind of application the expenditure it is not justified. In fact there is a disadvantage which I can not explain: in the 50 Hz bandwidth very weak signals are distorted which is not the case in the original TS-870.

73 and HNY
Thomas, DJ5DT
29. Dec. 2003