Re: Topband: DX window?

To: "Barry N1EU" <n1eu@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX window?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:05:38 -0500
Barry,

The DX Window by the ARRL was eliminated, but the IARU still has a DX Window
from 1830-1850 with 1840 up being SSB.

Personally I think there should be an ARRL DX Window of some type. While it
has little value for large stations looking out off a coastline towards DX,
it is very meaningful for stations inland or looking across populated areas
for DX. The problem is the JA's only have a band from 1815 to 1825 and have
attracted DX operation below 1825. The people who need the DX Window most
are those located in unfavorable locations or with smaller antennas.

For now, all we have is a useless and unwise IARU Window totally ignored by
SSB ops and still somewhat followed by CW ops. In my mind the DX Window
should have been moved down from 1825-1845 with the upper 5kHz for SSB.

73 Tom