Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Question

To: <Topband@contesting.com>,"Tracey Gardner" <tracey.gardner@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Question
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:17:51 -0500
> Am I correct in thinking that using two wires vertically spaced rather
than
> horizontally, wouldn't work, due to cancellation?

It makes absolutely no difference. A twist however is slightly better,
especially with wide spacing.

The Faraday shield in that article really isn't one, so you could dispense
with coax in the winding.

I'm not sure what is going on with the transformers, but normally calculated
turns ratios work almost perfectly unless there is high loss in the
transformer or very poor grounds. If there is high loss, I'd suggest a
different transformer. Lossy transformers are NOT bilateral devices so a
match out to the antenna would not result in a good termination match. The
fact he says optimum calculated turns don't work well is a real big warning
flag to understand what is really wrong.

73 Tom