Re: Topband: FERRITE BEADS

To: "Ulrich Weiss" <dj2ya@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: Topband: FERRITE BEADS
From: "Milt Jensen, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:38:26 -0700
Ulrich and others that have inquired.  Ther is no velocity factor involved
with the sleeve balun.  The coaxial feedline has no effect.  The sleeve
balun is like an element of the antenna and is cut according to the normal
antenna element formula.  It's response is relatively broad and being within
a 1/4" at the 70 CM frequencies makes the balun respond properly over the
entire 420-450 mHz.  At HF the length of the balun is not critical at all.

Here is my reply to one reflectoree regarding my method of getting the
length correct.

"I just make the braid a little long to start and make the measurement on
the
coax feedline to where I want the sleeve tied in.  I bare the braid for
about 1/2" on the coax and solder the sleeve.

Then I start taping at the shorted location compressing the braid as I go
towards the feed point.  When I get to the feedpoint, I cut off any extra
sleeve braid, solder a small wire around the entire braid to make a good
solid ending connection, silicone it and then tape over that.

I generally leave about 1/4" between the end of the sleeve balun and the
braid and center conductor connection going to whatever antenna element."

No, Ulrich, I have never measured the resonance of the sleeve baluns.  Never
had a reason to.

Some of you may be familiar with a commercial version of the sleeve balun
which was manufactured by and sold by KLM to be used with all of their 70 CM
and 2 Meter multi-element directional antennas back in the 70's.  They used
copper tubing for both the coaxial cable and the sleeve, with teflon
dielectric.  Worked very well but were expensive.

Good luck to all de Milt, N5IA