Topband: Re: K2/100

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: K2/100
From: "Geoff Cottrell" <geoff.cottrell@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:35:23 -0000
John

I have been using a K2/100 for topband DX for two years, with particular
interest in weak signal CW work.  I have performed some A/B comparisons with
a fully filtered FT1000MkV using a range of small K9AY loops and coax Rx
loops actually listening to DX signals in and out of contest situations.  In
general, I find the two rigs to be broadly equivalent in terms of signal
intelligibility.  In short, I can hear anything on the K2 that I can hear on
the Mk5 (after tweaking DSP/filters as appropriate).  I used to use the K2
audio filter (which helps signals pop out of the noise) and now have
installed the DSP board.  For CW the DSP is excellent and a worthwhile
addition,  for SSB I don't find it helps much.  For long operating periods
the 'sound' of the K2 audio in headphones is less fatiguing.

In terms of TX performance, the K2 break in is superb, easily beating the
Mk5.  There are some minor issues to do with keyclicks on the K2, but I
understand that a mod is imminent.

I have worked quite a few new DXCC entities on 160 with the K2 (most
recently JA now that condx momentarily improved!) and it is my standard topband
rig.
Of course it would be nice to have a second Rx on the K2.  Hope this helps.

73

Geoff
G3XGC