Re: Topband: Mobile on 160

To: <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mobile on 160
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:10:10 -0800 (PST)
I bought the High-Q (W6HIQ) 4-160 antenna specifically
with the idea in mind of getting on 160.  But
then I found that it barely gets down to 2 MHz
with a CB whip.  The vendor suggests adding a
1 foot extension with a top hat and the CB
whip at the top of this extension.  Did this in
the driveway once and worked some locals.  The
extension puts the height at almost 15 feet.
But I am planning to add some base loading to
eliminate the top hat and extension.  Now I see
that High-Q has come out with the 5-160 model which presumably
can get to 1.8 MHz without the aforementioned
shenanigans.  I'd say that one of those with the CB whip
should be the hot setup, if you want to spend
the $$$ on it.

Receiving wise, of course an omni vertical is
always a lousy receive antenna, but you knew
that.

Rick N6RK