Re: Topband: Autek VA1 Users/Owners ??

To: weightdn@adelphia.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Autek VA1 Users/Owners ??
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:13:14 -0800
Mike, W8DN wrote:

"Just  wondering how you like the VA1 and if you have compared it to
anything else?"
==========
I have the Autek VA1 and the MFJ-259.

The Autek appears to be a bit more accurate than the MFJ.

The MFJ can do measurements only at 50 ohms while the Autek can select to
measure at 25 to 450 ohms.

The MFJ can go up to 174 MHz and down to ~1750 kHz.  The Autek covers
~500 kHz to 30 MHz.

When adjusting my shunt feed capacitors, I find it easier to follow
minimum SWR on the MFJ's analog meter(s) rather than the Autek's digital
readout.

The 9 volt battery in the Autek seems to last forever, although the
batteries used in the MFJ may be recharged periodically.

73, de Earl, K6SE