Re: Topband: Tower Question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tower Question
From: <w0ah@a-1st.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:38:43 -0600 (MDT)
My friend's 70' grounded tower has 15 feet of mast out the top and is very
busy with several VHF and UHF antennas plus a TH-7 at 71'.  I also has
more VHF antennas about 2/3rds of the way up and a set of non-insulated
guy wires.  After insulating the guys wires, it might be a suitable for
shunt feeding, but here's what I plan to try instead.  About 90' to the
north down a slight hill, he has a large, approximately 20' by 25' shed
with a metal roof which is less than 10' higher than the bse of the 70'
tower.  I plan to run a 130' wire from the top of the tower to the center
of the shed, making it an inverted L, if the shed is too close for the
entire 130' of wire.  Eyeballing it the other day, it appeared I could run
the wire at a 45 degree angle of less, perhaps 30 degrees if I ran the
wire to the closest edge of the shed.  If electrically, continuous, I
think the shed roof may be an adequate ground system without additional
radials? If the metal roof is not electrically continuous, we can make it
so.  We can also add elevated radials.  The roof is not presently
grounded.  Would that be a good idea.  What do you think of this planned
160M sloping vertical?
Doug W0AH