Re: Topband: ICE 135B Preamp Image Issue

To: <W2pm@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ICE 135B Preamp Image Issue
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:34:30 -0400
You can look at TOI (output third-order intercept) of various amplifiers at

http://www.w8ji.com/preamp_summary.htm

I never tested that ICE amp, but the 124A isn't so good. I use +43dBm TOI
amplifiers, and they are OK, but anything around 30dBm TOI or less requires
passband filters or I notice  overload from strong commercial SW including
RTTY stations.

I'm assuming you have no IMD at all with the amp dropped out of line and you
actually need the gain.

I'd passband filter it, or get a stronger amplifier, or both.

73 Tom