Topband: 160M conditions from Colorado- reply to Wolf

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160M conditions from Colorado- reply to Wolf
From: <w0ah@a-1st.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:21:56 -0600 (MDT)

Wolf asked for other observations.  Yes, conditions from here in Colorado
 were very good last night despite moderate QRN and, yes, we sure noticed
 the long QSB on everyone except SM5EDX who was by far the strongest
European heard.  I started hearing Europeans at about 0200 UTC and about
fell off my chair when RW4PL came back to me at 0206.  John, SM5EDX, was
strong for several hours, and we exchanged 579's.   Had a partial with
Wolf, DF2PY, but he took a long fade, and we completed about 10 minutes
later!  Lat European worked was EA6SX at 0554.  Several other Europeans
were heard, but the opening from here favored northern Europe.  During
this couple of hours, I also worked over a dozen Europeans on 75/80M with
 several 59(9).  Went to bed at 0610 UTC and got up at 1150.  On 160M,
worked JA6LCJ and JH3VNC followed by AH0T and VK3ZL, all with good
signals  and little fading.  Other Colorado stations working DX were big
guns K0RF  (75/80 and 160) and this morning AA0RS (160).
I'm a little pistol running an AL-811 amp with about 600 watts out on
75/80 and 500 watts out on 160M.  Antennas are a 100' top loaded shunt
fed  tower on 160M and an 80M Deltal Loop (supported from the 90' mark on
that  tower) on 75/80M.  Rig is a JRC JST-245.  I have a NE and a NW
beverage. Doug W0AH   Woodland Park CO   DM78lx
ex-W2CRS  K1UGQ  W3IFA  KN8BAJ  XE3/W0AH  and V31AH.