RE: Topband: Wireless router EMC/RFI on 1,8 and up to 30MHz?

To: "'Kristinn Andersen'" <kiddi@marel.is>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Wireless router EMC/RFI on 1,8 and up to 30MHz?
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:20:57 -0400
Kristin (et al),

> I am considering getting a wireless router to connect my home
> computers to the ADSL internet connection.  Are there any comments
> from other hams on RFI from these devices interfering with HF
> reception, or on their robustness against RF field generated
> by nearby transmitters?

The RF portion of the wireless router should not pose a problem
with HF activities as the 802.11 routers operate at high UHF
and low microwave frequencies (in the 900 MHz, 1.2 GHz and 2.4
GHz regions depending on version of 802.11 - I believe).  Any
issue will probably be the ethernet interface ...  many of the
consumer 802.11 routers also include a (wired) ethernet router.

Several of the consumer (i.e.., "home networking") products in the
US have generated reports of strong HF signals every 61 KHz ...
particularly some of the Linksys and Netgear models.  I had an
early five port Linksys switch in my shack that was terrible
(dirty switching power supply).  However before I had a chance
to build a replacement power supply, it was hit by lightning.

The replacement switches (a five port in the shack and 16 port
in house) are clean.  I find no HF noise from the routers and
switches ... I do need to clean up some of the computer monitors
and the "old" computer that I'm using as a gateway, firewall
and web/mail server.

The short answer ... at least from my experience ... is that
the RF portion of any 802.11 LAN should not prose a problem
(unless one is a UHF/microwave fan).  The wired portion should
be treated with care ... but it doesn't require significantly
more care than eliminating the RFI from the rest of our
computer systems.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK