Re: Topband: T loaded vertical

To: rmf01 <rmf01@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: T loaded vertical
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:19:49 -0300
Rich, Try to get the current loop to appear at the connection to the flat top T. This can be done by modeling or in the old days we would just tape a small 6 volt bulb on a loop at the T. While running just enough power at night to get the bulb to illuminate, keep pruning the wire until you get the maximum illumination. When you finally go QRO the light will burn out and you won't have the neighbors calling 911 because of the flashing light they see in the sky. This will require raising and lowering the wire ends at night and if you have a forest of trees may not be a feasible means of tuning your T to maximum performance. Try to keep the flat top wires equal in length

If you have a 60 foot vertical drop a 75 foot to 80 foot each side of the T connection should work well as a starting point if you plan to tune it in the field. Even a smaller flat top will also work if you are prepared to deal with the increased reactance and lower feed point resistance at the base. However it is best to match the feed point with a simple L network and put down as many radial as possible. I have found this out to be true, that a well designed T design always beats an inverted L for a long angle DX path. I believe this is due to the cancellation of much of the horizontal radiation component .

I hope this information will help you.

73

Herb, KV4FZ

Rich, W1TSP wrote:

Thinking about erecting in it's place a T loaded vertical and wonder if you have any suggestions on calculating the dimensions of the T if used with a 55 foot or hopefully a 60 foot radiator.

Finally, any suggestions on a matching? If it comes out at ~20 ohms can I direct feed with the RG213 that is in place and use the tuner in the shack or is it best to construct an L/C circuit at the base?