RE: Topband: 160 Beacons

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, "Topband@Contesting. Com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: 160 Beacons
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:54:39 -0700
> 160 and other low bands really need a worldwide system of timed
> beacons with
> reasonable antennas and power. I think low bands need this far
> more than 20
> meters does!
>
> 73 Tom

What is the legality of a 160 meter beacon for FCC licensees?
I searched on this a little and it seems that "unattended"
ones are only allowed on 10 meters and up and then only in
specific subbands.  I vaguely remember someone telling me
the NCDXF ones on 20 through 12 meters had to get
special permission or something.  I tried to get them
interested in low band beacons and they basically said
"forget about it".  What is an "attended" beacon anyway?
Sounds like you might just as well call CQ if you have
to be there.

Of course, for a world wide system, other govt's have to
give permission under their own rules.

Rick N6RK