Re: Topband: Critters Eating Coax

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Critters Eating Coax
From: Keith Jillings <keithj@dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:46:15 +0100
K1ZM@aol.com wrote:

So, I will probably go the PVC conduit route - it is EASY to pass RG213 through it as long as the PL259's are off the cable and the various sections can either be taped or PVC glued together - very EASY to make this one work - just takes time.

If the PVC conduit is the same type as is sold here, you can buy "collars" that are a push-fit to join sections, with a central flange to hold the conduit in position. There are also right-angle bends, inspection elbows, and all sorts. A few drops of superglue, and it's all solid.

I had similar problems with the squirrels here. The solution was the 12-bore shotgun. Unfortunately, that didn't deal with the mice, who were much more elusive but did more damage. The cat solved that one.

One I rather fancied trying was to treat the inside of the conduit with Nitrogen Triiodide (NI3). Avoids repeat attacks by any individual critter.

Keith -- Keith Jillings G3OIT GW3OIT G-UTSY at EGMC