Topband: Topband Beacons - W1AW re:160 Beacons?Resource?

To: "topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband Beacons - W1AW re:160 Beacons?Resource?
From: "John Rogers" <JohnG3PQA@onetel.net.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:50:50 +0100
Thanks to Tom for info. on worldwide beacons.

In recent years with poor condx and less audible USA evening activity, W1AW
has become very useful for predicting the NA east coast path.
On many occasions I have listened half asleep on a dead band thinking condx
were poor again only to hear W1AW pop up at the scheduled time. When the
band is open to USA (eg yesterday) it can peak quite strong - up to s8 or 9.
Pity it uses 1818 exactly because that is the second harmonic frequency of
BBC Radio 5 on 909 from multiple UK locations which for whatever reason is
always s3 or stronger so cannot always read the code Q5.

As the bands lose their commercial stations we will have to rely more on our
own generated beacons, or people putting out the occasional CQ on a
seemingly dead band.

OK0EV has moved from 1845 up the band (1855 kHz ?) and does not seem to be
active all the time.

To OK stations on the reflector - can someone please advise the new
frequency,
station details and schedule of this beacon. It used to run 100W to a big
vertical so should be audible in USA and other continents when condx are
open.

Does anyone else know of more commercial or broadcast stations (close to
160) in other continents useful as beacons?

73's, John G3PQA