Topband: strange QRM problem

To: top <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: strange QRM problem
From: Ted Demopoulos <kt1v@demop.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 20:29:41 -0400
The new shack here has 3-way dimmer switches, i.e. the lights can be dimmed/undimmed from both in the shack and from the hallway leading there. There are almost no QRN issues with the dimmers, except on exactly one antenna, a beverage. The QRN used to be only heard on topband, but also seems to affect 80m a bit. Its not too bad, maybe S1, but should be solvable somehow!

I have 3 sets of beverages and associated feedlines, and the noise only occurs on the 1100 foot NE Beverage, which incidentally happens to start the closest to the shack, about 150' away. I replaced all feedlines etc, added about 20" of ferrites to the antenna end of the coax, with no change. This Beverage does have the worst feedpoint ground of them all as its in a rock field, but I do have 3 ground rods spaced roughly 4-6 feet and in the ground from 2.5 to 5 feet deep. All Beverages (and other ants) come in thru the same aluminum feedthough panel.

I have two thoughts:
1)improve ground at Beverage (radials?)
2) The feedline, as its not cut to length, has a coil of maybe 100 feet of spare length next to the feedthrough panel and maybe 15 feet from the dimmer switches - could this be the culprit? (the previous feedline had a similar coil about 100' from the dimmer switches - as I'm hoping to move the Beverage further from the house).

Of course I could just get rid of the dimmer switches, but since only one antenna is affected, I may be treating the systmes instead of the problem by doing this??

73
Ted KT1V