Topband: Shunt Fed Tower Info

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt Fed Tower Info
From: k4kyv at hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Mon Aug 4 12:04:52 2003
>I see two problems Bill. First, a half-wave grounded structure is
>anti-resonant when grounded. Grounding detunes the entire structure.

What about making it function as a quarter-wave groundplane.  Connect
directly to the tower a set of elevated quarterwave radials (as many as
practicable; at least four) approximately a quarterwave from the top of the
tower.  Let them slope away from the tower.  Run a skirt from the top of the
tower to the point where the radials are attached, and feed the bottom of
the skirt, using the tower and radials as as a grounding point.  This would
make the top quarterwave of the tower function as a folded monopole.

Don K4KYV