Topband: EchoLink

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EchoLink
From: K1PX at msn.com (Jim Monahan)
Date: Tue Jul 29 22:21:20 2003
Hello Topbanders:

ECHOLINK

I can't find any reference to this new amateur radio software program anywhere
on the reflector over
the last several months.

Only with the idea of making others aware of it that might not be, it is a free
program for amateurs only
that uses Voice-Over-IP technology to communicate with other amateurs world
wide. It can be operated
either as a single user through your computer with a speaker and microphone (or
a headset) or as a system
operator with simplex or repeater links to other stations.

It is Windows based and will work with any Internet connection from Dial-Up to
DS3.

Apparently, some people are opposed to this type of operating because it could
encourage less on air
operations.

I can imagine its use for Topband operators, in particular, to communicate
world wide to stimulate
160 meter operations and mention it only for that reason.

If interested, the home page is: http://www.echolink.org/

I'm in no way connected with the author of this program.

73, Jim, K1PX

K1PX@msn.com