Topband: 160 meter dipole polarity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 meter dipole polarity
From: herbs at vitelcom.net (Herb Schoenbohm)
Date: Fri Jul 25 18:33:27 2003

Jason Buchanan wrote:

> I am going to hang a 160 meter dipole w/1:1 balun tomorrow and am
> wondering if there is a recommended method for how to hang it
> "polarity-wise".

Jason,

For a higher performance DX antenna try to get the high current or
center portion of the dipole as vertical as possible.  Even in a Z
configuration is far better than an inverted Vee. Also dress the
feedline at right angles to the radiator for as far a possible to reduce
interaction.  What you do with the ends of the wire (20 to 30 per cent
of the overall length) is not critical.  The high current portion,
however, should be vertical or at least semi-vertical.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ