Topband: Re: filter

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: filter
From: garry at ni6t.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Sat Jul 19 17:32:44 2003
With all respect to Lee, I think he has mistaken the Cauer approximation for
something else.

The Cauer filter, also called an elliptic filter, has equiripple passband
and stopband, obtained by use of transmission zeros on the frequency axis
(notches). Far from having linear phase in the passband, the equiripple
passband implies a sharp rate of change of phase near the passband edges,
similar to the Chebyshev, which also has an equiripple passband, but with a
monotonic stopband.

I can't be certain, but I think Lee may be referring to a Gaussian filter
for that FM application. Generally, filters with smooth transitions from
passband to stopband exhibit more linear phase, and therefore more constant
delay, at the expense of stopband attenuation. There are also compromise
designs, such as the Transitional Butterworth Thompson (TBT) that trade off
the phase response against the gain response.

The usual way to have everything in an analog filter--flat passband, high
rate of attenuation in the transition band, high attenuation in the
stopband, and linear phase--would be to employ something like a Cauer filter
for the gain response, together with delay equalizers.

Garry, NI6T