Topband: A/B Testing Limits

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A/B Testing Limits
From: k6se at juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 21:43:21 2003
John, W3ULS wrote:

"Time of year, propagation conditions, location, antenna types and
condition, operator skills and preferences, modifications made, all play
a critical role."
==========
1) Time of year:  All receivers are compared with my MP and/or K2 in real
time, which has nothing to do with the time of year.

2) Propagation condx: There's no QSB on the ground wave signals used
during the duration of any A/B test.

3) Location: All tests have been at this location.

4) Antenna types and condx: The same antennas have been used for the
tests and they are still working FB.  The same antenna is A/B'd between
the receivers under test, so why does this matter?

5) Operator skills & preferences: I understand that some have better
skills than others.  As a topband DXer for over 40 years I have adequate
skills to adjust a receiver for best copy of a weak signal in the noise.
My ears determine how much out of the noise a signal sounds when doing
the comparisons.  All ears are different, but all ears will still hear
the difference.

6) Modifications made: Of the top radios on my list, the only receiver
mod has been the addition of the INRAD "front end mod" to my MP.  The K2
is stock.

73, de Earl, K6SE