Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results
From: W4EF at dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue Jun 24 15:11:53 2003
Tom, et al:

In terms of group delay, there is probably a tradeoff
between shape factor and delay. Whereas the 60dB
points in a filter don't contribute significantly to noise
bandwidth, they have a great deal of bearing on group
delay. Could it be that between two filters with the
same noise bandwidth, that the looser skirt filter is
actually easier on the ears in a situation like that of
Earl's test where their are no strong signal present?
Also, I never really thought about before, but does
anyone (like INRAD for instance) attempt to delay
equalize their IF filters?

It would interesting to find out if Earl tried the running
the Ten-Tec Orion with the narrow analog filters
switched out while at the same time cranking down the
bandwidth of the DSP filters. DSP filters generally
have linear phase (e.g. flat group delay), so it would
be interesting to compare the receiver "sound" when
running with tight analog filtering vs. tight DSP filtering
in a weak signal environment like the one Earl
described.