Topband: 160 Meters Mobile Antenna Suggestions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meters Mobile Antenna Suggestions
From: k4kyv at hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Wed May 7 16:44:59 2003

>A 160 meter mobile antenna is going to have a very narrow bandwidth so
>it may not be effective for BCB unless you are able to tune it
>somehow.  2:1 SWR bandwidth typically will be on the order of 20-30
>kHz.

That's being very optimistic for such a short antenna.  My 110' high 80m
(135' in length) dipole with open wire tuned feeders, using a balanced
link-coupled tuner wih split-stator cap, parallel fed, is more like +/-  8
kHz.  I would expect an efficient 160m. mobile installation to be
essentially a single-channel affair.

Don  K4KYV