Topband: Autek Antenna Analysers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Autek Antenna Analysers
From: mike.harris at horizon.co.fk (Mike Harris)
Date: Tue Apr 29 19:19:20 2003
Good day folks,

I have received a few requests for the conclusions drawn from replies to my
request for opinions on the RF-1 and VA-1 analysers.

I won't copy here all the replies, in fact I didn't save them all but they
were all read with interest.

RF-1:
Light, compact, accurate, easy to use especially up a tower, fine
instrument, surprisingly handy.  Inexpensive.
Restricted coverage, but if HF is all you need then OK.
Greedy on batteries, case likely to break if you drop it, manufacturers
support (repairs) expensive, frequency setting a bit touchy.

Varying opinions on accuracy, some say better than MFJ unit some say the
opposite.

On the whole a reasonable tool, indispensable, favourite.

VA-1:
More features than RF-1, light on batteries.
Ease of use, fragile case, touchy tuning etc. like RF-1

Some impression that not as accurate as RF-1 above mid HF.
A bit pricey unless it is intended to use all its features

General:
Comments generally positive, no one said they hated them, all found them
useful, some indispensable particularly if getting down and dirty into
antenna experimentation, wouldn't be without it.  Good value for money.
Any of them is better than no analyser.

W8WWV has a very interesting wed site detailing some tests on three
different instruments:

http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregordy/Amateur%20Radio/Experimentation/EvalA
nalyzers.htm

My conclusion.  I will adopt the advice I read somewhere many years ago.
Buy a functional tool, if it becomes an important part of your life, buy the
best you can afford (or is sensible).

Therefore I will be buying a VA-1 for it's extra features and if I get heavy
into antenna experimentation (nearly retired) and feel the need for
something better I might just look at something like the AEA CIA-HF.

Again, many thanks to all who took the time to send their thoughts.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO (IOTA SA-002)
K2/100 #1400