Topband: BC Interference

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: BC Interference
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun Apr 13 18:05:40 2003
> > most likely could have its origin in the synthesizer.  WTJS is on 1390
> > Khz.  If you multiply the frequency by 2 (2780 Khz) and then dived the
> > result by 3 you end up with 1853Khz.  If this signal is not stable a

The cause really didn't matter to me, but the end-effects and who was
causing it sure did! That thing was wiping out JA's and other weaker signals
to the NW of me even down on 1820kHz.

The carrier on ~1853 totally vanished with audio peaks, and would even go
into odd things like someone sending a string of dots at high speed. The
signal spit and sputtered on modulation peaks from below 1820 to above
1880kHz, and appeared to have much weaker spurs on 927kHz and 463kHz, and
was as strong as .5mV/m at times here at sunrise on a calibrated FSM. That's
significant power in the spurious!

The station initially didn't put a high priority on out-of-band spurious
signals, so I went the next step. I placed a call directly to the FCC field
engineer in charge of that area, including FS readings. The next day the
station called and apologized, saying they didn't realize the problem was so
severe. Needless to say it is gone now, and the strong spitting and
sputtering noise from that direction on 1820-1850 kHz has vanished.

Now I'm wondering if the "ditter" I hear weakly on quiet winter mornings to
the W or NW on 1825 is another BC station with a similar problem, but
further away.

Anyway, another spurious signal has bit the dust. That's what really
matters.

73 Tom