Topband: full wave 160m dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: full wave 160m dipole
From: obotka at yahoo.com.br (Otávio Botka)
Date: Sat Apr 12 11:01:41 2003
I have a project to setup a full wave 160 m dipole.

My questions are:
Is there some trick to build such antenna?
Each leg lenght is simply, say, 300/(2x1.82)MHz x
cable correction factor?
How long should be the separator?
What cable diameter should be used if I operate 100 W?

I intend to use a 50 ohm coax without ballon as
feedline. Another possibility is to use open line
(paralel), because there will be no metals around to
interfere. But in this case I do not know how to match
the impedance.

The details follows:

Where?
There is a nice place where I use to go about every
two or three months. There is a hill forming an "U",
whose distance between the extrem borders is 150-170
m. All the top is relatively flat, so one can walk
around relatively ease. Its height is not known for
me, but I asure it is pretty high, I guess more than
100 m. I will check the topographical chart to get a
more exact value.

How?
I intend to park my car equipped with a FT100D at some
distance bellow the botton of the "U". A little (1 m
height) mast will be fixed on the left side of the "U"
and another on the right side. These will sustain the
ends of the dipole. I do this all from the top of the
hill.

The result will be a full wave dipole over more than a
half wave distance from the ground.

When?
This is a good question. The place is somewhat remote
and I wish to choose a good propagation time.

So, your the opinions about this plan are welcome. I
appreciate the replies.

VY 73
DE
Ot?vio, PY4OLB

Yahoo! Mail
O melhor e-mail gratuito da internet: 6MB de espa?o, antiv?rus, acesso POP3,
filtro contra spam.
http://br.mail.yahoo.com/