Topband: Inverted L for TX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted L for TX
From: ws9v at royell.net (WS9V)
Date: Fri Mar 28 08:39:39 2003
Hi
I installed an inverted L antenna exactly like the one in the Antenna
Compenduim that AC7A describes.
It has a 50ft vertical section an 148ft 1" horizontal section with a slight bit
of taper may down to 40ft in hieght from the vertical plane.
I have the MFJ259 an checked both the R an X
It is installed on a 64ft Rohn HBX tower with a 5 band 3 element Cubex Quad
atop it
I am attempting to get this tuned for 1.830 MHz

I tried the coax style capacitor with no luck an  then ordered a air varible
ie(35-330pf) an installed it in series with it
I could see a change in the SWR from what the 259 shows as 25 down to as low as
4.4
Then reading a few more articles I tried putting a 200pf doornob parallel with
the air cap to add more capacitance an no luck could not get it to tune
anywhere.

The antenna does resonant with out any matching at 3.662

I am feeding it with 9913  from the shack
an it does have 6 -127ft ground radials under so far
I made the thing out of #10 stranded wire

Did I have to much capacitance in series?
Should I try to find a inductor to add to the circuit?
Shorten or Lengthen the thing more?

Any suggestions to get the thing to tune would be appreciated,exicuted an then
reported back here for the help...
Thank you in advance

Skip WS9V

ws9v@royell.net