Topband: AA1K & W4ZV 160 WAZ!!!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: AA1K & W4ZV 160 WAZ!!!
From: dz at VOA.GOV (Richard Zwirko)
Date: Mon Feb 3 16:22:07 2003
Congrats to AA1K & W4ZV on reaching the ultimate milestone on Topband,
160 meter Worked All Zones!  I was high from working AH3D over an hour
earlier for #187 with 100 Watts but too tired and sick to stay up to
witness the QSOs of Jon & Bill.  I can only imagine how they felt on
their reaching the WAS summit.

AH3D signals were almost S8 in MD on Sunday morning just before sunrise
but had no luck breaking through. This morning (Monday 3 Feb.) signals
were only slight above a low S3 noise level on the vertical TX/RX antenna.
But AH3D apparently didn't have the same 160M noise problem that had
plagued them earlier in the DX-pedition. Thanks to Bernie, W3UR for his
persistence which provided so many Topbanders another new one.

160 Meter propagation has improved markedly in the past month or so.
QRP QSOs to Europe are once again being logged from this Maryland QTH.
For the newcomers to the Topband, things will get even better in the
years to come.

73 de Rich - K1HTV

--
Richard Zwirko (VOA/BMM) - K1HTV                         Voice of America
Wilbur J. Cohen Building, Room 2165                      Technical Support