Topband: Improvised Solder-Pot

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Improvised Solder-Pot
From: binghamstehekin@starband.net (Dick and Adele Bingham)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:12:07 -0800
Al W6DZ suggested the following good idea =3D=3D=3D=3D>

Message: 4
From: "Alfred Lutz" <lutz@dock.net>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:31:18 -0800
Subject: Topband: STRIPPING ENAMEL WIRE

Depends on the insulation, Tony.  Over the years I've lost track of the
types of insulation that pass for enamel, but in the old day's before
Belden's Beldsol came along, I used an Xacto knife (with great care).
Mechanical or chemical stripping is still necessary with certain types =
of
modern 'enamel' wire, but Beldsol will vaporize when soldering =
temperatures
are reached.  There are undoubtedly other brand names for this kind of =
wire.

You can make a cheepo miniature solder pot out of an old fashioned =
soldering
iron by drilling a small hole in the side of the copper tip.  ***** If =
you can't
find an old iron you can make a solder pot out of a 1/2-inch copper pipe =
cap
placed on the kitchen stove. *****

73,

Al W6DZ

I would be very careful here when using a 1/2" copper pipe-cap because =
it would
VERY EASY to tip it over. To improve pot stability and safety I would be =
inclined=20
to get a 2" square piece of steel plate about 1/4" thick and drill/tap a =
hole in the=20
center of the plate and then screw the pipe-cap to the plate. This =
should work well=20
as a solder-pot.

73 to everyone...

Dick W7WKR

p.s. - Please forgive my inadvertent operation in the DX window during =
the contest
         a few weeks ago - it won't happen again! The CW msg - "LID" - I =
received=20
         really stung!

db

multipart/alternative