Topband: NOISE, cont'd.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: NOISE, cont'd.
From: n9en@voyager.net (N9EN@VOYAGER.NET)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:14:17 -0600
Thanks to all who replied concerning the ANC-4 and the
two MFJ models. The consensus of opinion seems to be
that the MFJ 1025 is much more effective at getting rid of
noise problems.

Also, thanks to all who advised me that I was "getting the
run-around, etc." from my local electrical utility. After I
first realized that I was getting nowhere with them, I
contacted the ARRL, who then contacted the FCC.

I received by Certified Mail from the FCC, a copy of a letter
that was sent to my utility. Four other hams callsigns were
listed with mine - other hams that were served by ComEd,
who had also filed complaints.

I had sent Riley Hollingsworth a very lengthy e-mail and in
it, I summarized all that I had been through with ComEd in
the past year and that basically, they told me that there
were NO problems out here. Riley sent me back a reply,
thanking me for the detailed information. He told me that
I would be hearing from ComEd "shortly."

Some amount of time went by and I heard nothing from
ComEd so I e-mailed Riley again and told him that I had
not been contacted by anyone from ComEd. He replied,
saying that he would be checking into the matter personally,
within 2 weeks.

Shortly after this, I received from ComEd, a copy of a
letter that ComEd's lawyers had sent to the FCC. In their
letter, they detailed all the "repairs" that they had made in
my area and again told the FCC that their lines are "within
spec" and that they take these kind of problems seriously.

During all of the times that ComEd's "noise trackers" and
their Power Quality Engineer were out in my area, they
never once set foot in my shack, so I could demonstrate
the noise that I receive on all bands from 10 thru 160
meters, and how the noise peaks when I aim my yagis
towards their power lines that run adjacent to my property.
I had invited them into my shack numerous times but
evidently, they weren't too concerned with what I was
receiving on my various antennas.

I guess what I will do next is to hand type a letter to
Riley, summarizing again, all that I have gone through
in the past year, in regards to my noise problem. Also,
I might go out and purchase one of those Radio Shack
portable AM - aircraft band radios and do some walking
around my neighborhood with it.

I am currently at 173 countries worked and 172 confirmed
on Top Band. I live on a 325' x 336' lot (roughly 100 me-
ters square) and use a delta loop for both transmitting and
receiving. The top of the delta loop is supported by one
corner of a 137' (41 meters) high tower. I did run a "short
Beverage" across my yard, in hopes of being able to
work some new African countries, such as 5H3RK, but
with my current noise level on 160 meters, I think that the
chances of working anything new is very slim indeed. The
noise level on 160 meters with the delta loop is S9+10 dB
and on the short beverage it is S7.

Sorry for having made this so long. Good luck to all
on TopBand. 73 de Brad, N9EN