Topband: Center support on K9AY Loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Center support on K9AY Loop
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:44:39 +0000
Looking over both QST articles, it seems to me that the K9AY loop is nearly
identical to the diamond or delta version of the flag/pennant.  The main
difference is the location of the feed point and termination resistor, the
termination resistance, and the grounding point with the K9AY loop.  The
horizontal space is nearly identical (about 30 ft.), but the K9AY loop
requires a taller support (about 25 ft. versus about 15 ft).  I may
construct one of these antennas,  but instead of two loops 90 degrees from
each other and a complicated switching scheme, I think it would be simpler
to make the whole thing mechanically rotatable.  The dimensions don't seem
prohibitive, and that way you could could find the maximum  null for local
noise or QRMs much in the same manner as with the well-known rotatable
shielded loop.

Any comments on how these two antennas compare in performance, by someone
who has actually constructed and tried both?

Don K4KYV