Topband: QRSS on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: QRSS on 160m
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:21:24 -0500
> can be copied). In this case, I don't think the criterion of whether
> QRSS is experimental or not plays a part in what part of the band it
> should occupy.  We should make a recommendation to the ARRL and our
> brethern based on other crieria.  Doug W0AH   QRSS30 beacon on 187.591

....and what should those criteria be Doug?

To other ops QRSS is just like someone outputting a very long steady
series of carriers, like someone not quite able to get the tuner
adjusted! That's OK in a clear area, but not in a high traffic part
of the band. Especially if the QRSS ops, like PSK ops, don't listen
for and avoid getting near other modes.

While QRSS has a place in our diverse hobby, it is mostly an
experimenters mode useful for people who care less about time and who
like to detect very weak "planned" signals. It certainly would not
work in the middle of high traffic areas or random QSO areas of the
band.

It makes sense to keep such modes in less populated areas of the
band. Everyone benefits.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com