Topband: too young for topband ! (?)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: too young for topband ! (?)
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:27:36 -0400
At 08:52 AM 19/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
G'day

I first got onto the topband at the age of 16, when I was G3ZZD.  At that
time, the first band that newly licenced amateurs got active on in the UK
was 160, as it was the easiest to homebrew equipment and was where all the
teenage amateurs started.  There was also lots of other amateurs of
different ages active on the band, including some very senior citizens, who
had a similar sense of fun and adventure to the teenagers.

The band was full from end to end with the kind of quality of signals you
would expect from teenagers and we would talk to our older and wiser elmers
about improving them.  It was the best fun I have ever had in ham radio
and, luckily, I have never grown out of 160.

Over in Czechoslavakia, there were similar numbers of young OK and OL
amateurs starting out on 160.

Age should never be a barrier to operating on 160.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ