Topband: "Magic" lamp QRM

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: "Magic" lamp QRM
From: zl3ix@inet.net.nz (Greg - ZL3IX)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:54:33 +1300
Hi Don,

When I made a similar posting on the Reflector a few months back, I received
very good advice - Throw the thig away if you can!  Unfortunately the one in
my life belongs to my neighbour, so I can't do that, and he isn't in the
least bit interested in learning about RFI.  My problem is that I turn his
lamp on when I transmit on Topband.

The other good advice I received was not to try and fix the problem in the
line feed, but rather to put a high value choke in the touch line.  I bought
a similar device just to experiment with,  in case my neighbour ever lets me
near his, and found that a 2.5 mH choke in series with a 3k3 resistor does
the trick.  If the resistor is much higher, say 10k, the touch mechanism no
longer works.

I am now ready for the day when my neighbour realises that I am not going
away, and that he has to work with me to solve the RFI problems!  In your
case it should be easier as your daughter lives in your house!

73, Greg, ZL3IX