Topband: Antenna current

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antenna current
From: peter.jackson17@ntlworld.com (peter jackson)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 17:22:06 -0400
Hi, as a little pistol station I feel a little inferior asking questions
when most guys on this reflector are using much better antennas than I. I
have an inverted L Marconi approx 132 ft with about 40ft of it vertical, the
earth consists of wire and a few earth rods buried in the garden, no chance
of anything better. I have just made a RFcurrent detector using a toroid
through which the antenna wire goes through connected to a diode and meter,
I find I have the same amount of current flowing down the earth as going up
the antenna. Is this correct. The ATU consists of a series tuned circuit the
antenna connected to a variable capacitor the other end connected to the
coil to which the earth is to the other end, the coax tapping in so far up.
All comments will be welcome. 73 Pete G3KNU