Topband: CQ 160 2003 Rules Changes - Limit Mulit-ops to 30 or 36 hours

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: CQ 160 2003 Rules Changes - Limit Mulit-ops to 30 or 36 hours
From: w2gd@hotmail.com (John Crovelli)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 01:31:52 -0400
Gentlemen,

Our multi-op group had mixed feelings when we heard the CQ160 event would be
extended to 48 hours.  On the whole we commend the sponsors for providing
operators on other continents, especially EU, AF, and AS with what should
prove to be a much more rewarding operating experience.  Bravo!

Several of our team have been operating together in the multi-op class for
nearly 20 years, and never found "daylight" opeation very enjoyable.  But to
be competitive in class, there has been no choice but to keep the station on
the air throughout the entire contest calling an endless stream of largely
unanswered CQs during the daytime.  Trust us, the day shift is not "fun",
even in a populated region.  None of our team members look forward to the
drudgery of working a station every 8 to 10 minutes, for hours on end.
Topband is definitely not a friendly place at High Noon!  And we feel this
event should not be an endurance race.

So NOW is probably the ideal time to provide all long suffering multi-op
teams with some relief just like the single-op entrants.  We propose the
rules be revised to allow a maximum number of operating hours for multi-op
entries of either 30 or 36 total hours.

It's our belief other multi-op groups world-wide feel the way we do about
daylight operation, and will welcome this rule change.   Hopefully other
teams (from N.A, EU, and elsewhere) will comment.

73,

John W2GD/P40W