Topband: Flag Xfmr Measurements End Game

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Flag Xfmr Measurements End Game
From: n6wg@earthlink.net (Bob Tellefsen)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:18:54 -0700
Well, after fighting a single-core solution to the problem, I decided to
break it down into smaller bits.

The idea was to both obtain a good match and to decouple the transformer
from the feedline.  In the original article this was accomplished by placing
the two windings on opposite sides of a toroid.  However, I could never get
a decent match with the cores I had on hand.

I now have one small binocular core transformer, made from two small
toroids, that gives me a 1.2:1 match at 2 MHz when terminated with a 910 ohm
resistor.  Then I wound a separate 1:1 transmission-line balun on another
small core and connected it to the
50-ohm side of the transformer.  I still get 1.2:1 through the balun, so I
think I'll stop there.

The balun presents about 500 ohms reactance at 2 MHz, so should be plenty
adequate to decouple the transformer from the feedline.

Both units together are very light and small enough to fit into a plastic
35mm film container, so that's what I will use for a weather housing at the
loop feedpoint.  Weather sealing with hot glue, then a couple coats of paint
for UV protection should finish the job.

Thanks to all who offered comments and suggestions during this exercise.
Like all useful exercises, this has been a learning experience :-)

73, Bob N6WG