Topband: Flag Xfmr Measurements

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Flag Xfmr Measurements
From: n6wg@earthlink.net (Bob Tellefsen)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:19:53 -0700
I've been curious about the insertion loss of the 50:900 ohm matching
transformers we wind for the Flag antenna, especially with the "unofficial"
toroid cores I use.  So I did a bit of investigating.

I wound two identical transformers (8 turns primary, 34 turns secondary),
then used the wire from an old 50-pair telephone cable, I'm guessing about
#24 gauge.  With the plastic covering, I figured this would space the actual
wires about one wire diameter.

The cores must be a special run for some mfr, but they were identified on
the box as type 43 material.  I ran some tests on them to verify, and they
seem to fall between FT114 and FT140 cores.  The core size is OD 1.22", ID
.715" and HT .615".

I connected the two test transformers back to back with the 34 turn
windings, and used the 8 turn windings for input and output.  Test setup was
a hp 8640B sig gen into a KAY switchable attenuator into the first
transformer.  Then from the output transformer into another KAY attenuator
set at 6DB and into my Hitachi dc-100 MHz scope.

At 1.825 MHz, insertion loss was 4 dB even, so I'm saying 2dB per
transformer.  I checked the insertion loss of the capacitive coupling
between windings at 49dB.

At 3.550 MHz, insertion loss was 7dB, for 3.5dB per transformer.  I had
expected it to be less, but the 43 material must not be as efficient at 80m.
Capacitive coupling insertion loss was 45dB which seemed reasonable.

I also used my LCIIB capacity meter to measure the interwinding capacity. It
averaged 3.75pf between the two transformers.  There is about 1/4" of space
between the ends of the primary and secondary windings.  Winding with a
finer wire would leave a larger space and the coupling should be less.
That's another experiment for another day.

Using an AEA HF-CIA antenna analyzer, I measured an end-to-end swr of 5:1 at
1.825 MHz when terminated with a 51 ohm resistor.  This is consistent with
measurements on a single transformer when terminated with a 910 ohm
resistor.

For my record, I measured the inductance of the transformer windings.
Transformer A had 69.2uH and 1308uH, and transformer B had 75.6uH and
1440uH, again using the LCIIB meter.

I'd be interested in the results if anyone makes measurements using the
"official" FT114 or FT140 cores.

73, Bob N6WG