Topband: Radial wire installation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radial wire installation
From: k4kyv@hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:48:29 +0000

>From: Doug Waller <NX4D@comcast.net>

> > I now use a silver alloy that is used by plumbers to solder copper water
> > pipes.  It comes in flat sticks about 1/8" wide and 18" long.  You need
> > brazing torch because an ordinary propane torch doesn't get hot enough.
> > use a "MAPP GAS" torch, which looks and works exactly like a propane
>torch.

This got me thinking.  I went out to the tower Sunday afternoon and dug
through the soil to the termination point of my radial system.  It consists
of heavy gauge 1 1/2" wide copper strap in a rectangle surrounding the
concrete tower base pier.  The radials are brazed to the copper strap with
the silver alloy solder.  I checked the soldered connections of several
radials, and they appeared intact.  Everything had a black looking coating
of oxide, so I took a stiff brush to several radial terminations, and the
silver solder polished right up, still completely coating the solder with no
apparent corrosiion between the wires and the strap.  I tried wiggling some
of the wires, and I believe I would have broken the copper wire from metal
fatigue before the brazed connection would have come loose.

I believe this is the standard procedure for AM broadcast radial systems.  I
believe they all use some kind of silver brazing.  Luckily the soil here
doesn't eat up the bare copper or the silver solder.

Don K4KYV